Position Announcement: Public Policy Director
The California Association of Nonprofits — CalNonprofits — is a member-based alliance representing California’s large and diverse nonprofit community. We are seeking a high-energy, dynamic individual to serve as our public policy director.
Location: In one of the following: Los Angeles (preferred), Sacramento, or San Francisco
Reports to: CEO Jan Masaoka
Position: Full-time exempt (could be part-time for the right person)
Under the general direction of the CEO and the Board of Directors, the Public Policy Director directs CalNonprofits’ overall public policy efforts and is a statewide leader in policy supporting the nonprofit community.
• Work with the CEO and the board of directors in the development and implementation of policy strategies, including engaging nonprofits in policy matters
• Stay current on key policy issues, and with CalNonprofits’ lobbyist, manage legislative, administrative and judicial efforts impacting California nonprofits
• Write articles for CalNonprofits’ electronic and print publications and participate in the promotion of materials through social media
• Support the Policy Committee of the board
• Develop and direct public policy programs to strengthen advocacy by California’s nonprofit sector, such as Census work, Vote with Your Mission
• Support members and partners in pursuit of CalNonprofits goals
• Speak at conferences, represent CalNonprofits in public and on coalitions
General Job Functions:
• Represents/advocates for CalNonprofits and its constituents with appropriate state, county, federal and local elected officials and agency officials
• Supports membership recruitment, retention and engagement objectives
• Works as a leading member of the staff team, understanding that in a small team people take on responsibilities outside their specific roles
• Attends meetings of the board of directors
• 3 – 5 years advocacy/public policy work with state or local government
• Experience developing and implementing legislative or community organizing campaigns
• Experience working in a statewide or member-based organization helpful
• California state driver’s license and ability to use own car for travel
• Strong analytical skills, writing ability
• Strong public speaking and communications skills
• Strong technology skills
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people and organizations of diverse backgrounds and political viewpoints
• Willingness to travel in-state with occasional overnights
• Understanding and support of the values, mission, and goals of the California Association of Nonprofits
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
CalNonprofits offers generous benefits, plus earning 15 days of PTO in your first year. Full-time employees are eligible for employer-paid health insurance, dental, vision, and life insurance, and, after two years, an employer-matched 403b retirement plan. New employees begin accruing PTO immediately. CalNonprofits is a Public Service Loan Forgiveness qualified employer.
Compensation: commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume to hiring Please put your name and "Policy Director" in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
We strongly encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds and experience to apply. CalNonprofits is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CalNonprofits does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs.